Thursday, December 3, 2009

Hexalen® and count down #17



















As many people know who have gone to the Internet to gain information on medications, the range of side effects can be pretty horrible/enlightening/comforting, and, none of the above.

But while my oncologist said that nausea would probably be the only side effect from taking Hexalen®, it is still hard to put aside my computer assisted research.

With just a few days away from starting my chemo #4, Hexalen®, I just received additional information from Phyllis, a social worker who works on a cancer information & resource line^, who spoke with an oncologist who* also prescribes Hexalen®.

It was comforting to get this second opinion from an oncologist:
-No violent reactions
-Possible loss of appetite
-Drop in white blood count (which will be monitored through blood tests)

Emotionally I feel better and as soon as my cracked skin is healed from chemo #3, I will begin swallowing my medicine.

*the repetition of the word "who" reminds me of the nursery rhyme/folksong about the old lady who swallowed one item after another--fly, spider, bird, cat, dog, cow, and horse.

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly -... #

Believe me, I don't plan a replay of what that old lady did, but it is fun to be reminded of the childhood songs and rhymes.

^Phyllis Tell, MSW, of the Ronnie Lippin Cancer Information & Resource Line, part of Tower Cancer Research Foundation. NOTE: Services are available only to cancer patients, families, and friends living in Los Angeles County. Toll Free Phone: 877.RLC.2120 and www.LACancerInfo.org

#http://www.rhymes.org.uk/there_was_an_old_lady.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment