Friday, October 16, 2009

"Notes on Being a Genius"

Recently twenty-four citizens of the U.S.A learned that each was going to receive $500,000 over the next five years. The MacArthur Foundation had bestowed them with the 'Genius Award.'

For many decades I had wished for this award until I realized I could actually live my life as a MacArthur ‘Genius’! It was a mental frame of mind, I reasoned. I have only to dream, visualize, and focus my creativity, and I will experience results.

Last May and June I created a format, daily goals, and began my program titled, “M-GACE: The Michelle Genius Award for Creativity and Exploration.” The results included “Hair Chronicles,” (limited printing of picture postcards from childhood to the present), gifts of notes, flowers and gift cards to cancer survivors, and the creation of ‘Art-lets’ (small drawing/writing sketch booklets and original note cards to be used by community members).

Today, after much thought and consideration, I again commit to live October and November under the blessings of M-GACE. I will listen, dream, explore, take risks, and keep an accounting of my life as a genius. Each morning and evening my muse will join me as I document this M-GACE journey on specially selected stationery. We will speak to each other with pride, respect, and a sense of play.

I will still have cancer. I will still be undergoing chemotherapy, blood tests, body scans, and physical therapy, but the focus of my life will be “M-GACE: The Michelle Genius Award for Creativity and Exploration.”


P.S., This state of mind is powerful. Tears come to my eyes, just as when I exchanged my wedding vows. I don’t know what each day will bring other than I am blessed with experience, guided by wisdom, and surrounded by love.


No comments:

Post a Comment